Color paste instructions
The Heyu color paste produced by Jiangsu Heyu New Material Co., Ltd. includes various opaque color pastes, transparent color pastes, and DMC/SMC special color pastes, which are mainly used for coloring in gel coats and bedding resins of unsaturated resin molding systems. It is a paste formed by evenly dispersing pigments and other additives in special resins. It has good color fastness, light and heat stability, has minimal impact on resin curing, and can be firmly crosslinked with molding resins, and the pigments are fastened. Wrap it tightly. Heyu color paste has stable performance and long shelf life.
1. Usage: first mix a small amount of molding resin and color paste evenly, then add to the total amount of resin and stir evenly.
2. Dosage: Add 10% (weight ratio) in the gel coat to achieve a good covering effect. It can be added up to 15%, and the lesser amount is 5-10%. It is not advisable to reduce the amount of products used outdoors. The amount added to the build-up resin is 4~6%. When using black color paste, the amount added is about 3%, not too much, so as not to affect the curing.
3. In order to achieve uniform thickness, spray gel coat and spray construction as much as possible. Don't use different color numbers to color by yourself, our factory can meet customers' special color matching needs.
4. In order to prevent fading, discoloration and blooming, the following points should be paid attention to:
a. The light resistance, heat resistance, chemical stability, and atmospheric aging properties of the molding resin and gel coat have a great influence on the color fastness of the product, so you must choose it well.
b. The curing agent and accelerator should be strictly selected to ensure that it does not contain any amine components, otherwise the product will be easily discolored, and must be stirred evenly during the addition process to prevent local discoloration caused by excessive local reaction.
In addition, the control of paving and superimposing strong layers, the temperature and humidity of the construction environment will also affect the color.
5. Before the construction of large projects, a small sample test should be done, and the formal construction should be carried out after the aging test, and each link should be strictly controlled to avoid losses.
Color glue usage guide
Gel coat is a kind of polyester coating, which protects FRP products and makes the outer surface layer have the desired color for a long time. Reasonable use of gel coat is the key factor to make the product beautiful and reach the first-class level.
Jiangsu Heyu New Material Co., Ltd. is a supporting enterprise specializing in the production of glass fiber reinforced plastic color paste, gel coat and other raw and auxiliary materials in China. To meet the needs of the market, our factory has fully introduced colored gel coats (top coats), and based on our practical experience, we have produced this guide for your reference, hoping to provide you with the basic information you need to optimize the use correctly Color gel coat. A good glass fiber reinforced plastic product has an inseparable relationship with the molding in addition to the selection of more suitable materials. Therefore, in order to obtain the ideal gel coat layer quality, it is recommended to refer to the following methods:
1. Purchase: Check the product name of the colored gel coat when purchasing to prevent misuse.
2. Storage: Each brand of gel coat should be stored separately in order, stored in a cool and dry place, and protected from open flames. In addition, it should be first in, first out.
3. Mold preparation: clean the mold thoroughly, wax and polish it after drying, be sure to apply a layer of release agent before using the new mold to ensure smooth demolding. The liquid release agent needs to be dried until it is not sticky, and the release wax needs to be wiped with a clean gauze before application (keep the construction site clean).
4. Preparation of gel coat: Stir gently and evenly in the original barrel before use, and avoid air mixing. If you want to pour out from the original barrel, please remember that it must be poured into a clean barrel and confirm whether the temperature of the gel coat is At the recommended operating temperature.
5. Working environment: Gel coat spraying should be carried out in an isolated area in the spraying room or workshop. The workshop must have good ventilation, sufficient light, dust-free, temperature between 18-25 ℃, and humidity not exceeding 70%.
6. Reference formula: 100 parts by weight of gel coat resin
Curing agent MEKP1.5-2.5 parts
The amount of curing agent should be adjusted according to the current temperature and the temperature change after construction, generally not more than 2.5%, and a small amount of accelerator can be appropriately added if necessary under special circumstances. Before each batch of gel coat is used, a gel time test must be done before mass production.
7. Construction operation: After adding 1.5~2.5% curing agent ME KP to the gel coat, stir it thoroughly, and start construction immediately.
Spray molding: check and clean the filter, select the appropriate spray gun according to the actual size, complexity and gel coat of the mold, and adjust the working pressure and spray pattern to keep the spray gun parallel to the mold and keep the nozzle 50-80cm away from the mold surface , And perpendicular to it. After spraying once, the second spraying route is perpendicular to the first one. Generally, the required thickness can be reached about three times. The thickness of the wet film of the gel coat is controlled to be 0.5-0.8mm. The spray gun must be taken outside the mold to stop, and it must be cleaned in time after spraying. equipment.
Note: (1) Keep the construction site ventilated.
(2) When spraying gel coat, do not stop spraying in the middle, otherwise wrinkles are likely to occur.
(3) The spray gun has two types: internal mixing and external mixing:
a. The working pressure of the internal mixing spray gun should not exceed 5kg/m², and the dosage can be prepared at about 500g/m²;
b. The use of external mixing spray gun requires precise curing agent ratio and uniform mixing.
Hand brush molding: Pour the required amount of gel coat into a clean and dry container, add the curing agent and stir evenly, then apply it evenly with a clean and soft paint brush, and clean the paint brush in time after use. (The recommended dosage is 500~600g/m², and it can also be formulated according to actual product requirements.)
8. Inspection before layering: the gel coat should be gel-free (at least 1 hour) before starting the reinforcement layer. The gelling time in the mold groove needs to be lengthened. A small amount of ventilation or turning the mold can also be used to accelerate the setting. Glue, check whether all parts of the mold have evenly gelled.
Introduction to weather resistance of gel coat
1. Factors affecting weather resistance of gel coat
1. Gel coat chemistry
(1) Matrix resin: common gel coats are m-phenylene neopentyl glycol type, isophthalic type and o-phthalic type. The matrix resin is the main component of the gel coat, which determines many properties of the gel coat, such as mechanical properties and aging resistance. and many more. The aging resistance of gel coat is as follows: m-phenylene neopentyl glycol type> isophthalic type> o-phthalic type.
(2) Pigment powder: The color gel coat is prepared from the color paste made of pigment powder. The aging resistance of the pigment powder itself directly affects the aging resistance of the gel coat, and the concentration of the pigment also affects the weather resistance. Usually the pigment concentration is high and the weather resistance is good.
(3) Peroxide: The amount of peroxide in the entire gel coat should be the appropriate amount recommended by the supplier and be evenly mixed.
(1) High-quality methyl ethyl ketone peroxide ME KP (such as Akzo-Nobel's But an oxM-50)
(2) Addition amount: The addition amount in the gel coat is 1.5-2.5%. Insufficient amount of catalyst will result in insufficient curing.
3. Coating thickness
(1) The thickness of the wet gel coat layer should be between 400 and 600 microns
4. Yellowing in sunlight is usually caused by the thickness of the gel coat layer
(a) Too thin will cause incomplete curing (b) Too thick will contain excessive styrene (c) Uneven yellowing → uneven coating thickness (or curing).
5. Dilution: The gel coat formula is carefully designed and optimized. Any external additives will dramatically affect the weather resistance of the gel coat. Excessive addition of styrene will increase the yellowing of the gel coat.
6. Contaminants: The gel coat should be stored in the original barrel and the lid should be tightened.
7. Temperature and environmental humidity: The temperature of the gel coat, workshop, catalyst and mold surface should be between 18-25℃, and the relative humidity of the construction environment should be less than 70%. Insufficient temperature will affect curing or even cause non-curing, and high humidity will cause insufficient curing.
8. Conditions of use: It is recommended that the conditions of use are in accordance with the guidelines provided for the use of gel coats
9. Mold: The wax or polystyrene on the mold will affect the product (transferred to the surface of the product)
10. Others: Excessive heat buildup; pre-release of gel coat.
Even good materials can produce inferior products if used improperly
1. Weather resistance: Weather resistance refers to the phenomenon that occurs under exposed outdoor conditions. Outdoor conditions vary greatly: the UV intensity in Tibet, China is much higher than that in the three northeastern provinces of China.
2. Yellowing: usually the cause of ultraviolet radiation (the energy of 280-400nm wavelength ultraviolet rays is sufficient to damage and cause polymer degradation). Styrene is also the main factor affecting yellowing.
3. The main environmental factors of gel coat weather resistance include:
(1) Sunlight (light energy): The most important factor affecting the weather resistance of gel coats under the sun is ultraviolet radiation. If directly exposed to the sun, the surface of the dark gel coats will reach a very high temperature. The aging is accelerated.
(2) Water: "The most common solvent" will invade the surface of the gel coat and filter out impurities. Inferior catalysts will easily allow water to penetrate into the product.
(3) Heat: As mentioned above, heat will accelerate the aging "reaction" that occurs in the gel coat film
3. Other possible effects besides yellowing:
1. Loss of gloss: Environmental and mechanical wear gradually reduce gloss, good maintenance will help maintain the original gloss.
2. Powdering: The same factors that cause yellowing can also cause powdering of the gel coat surface.
3. Maintenance: Good maintenance can also extend the aging time of the gel coat.
4. Theories and methods referred to by Heyu Chemical Co., Ltd.
1. There are several methods to determine the weather resistance of different coatings outdoors. The most accurate and slowest method is of course to expose the sample to the natural outdoors. Due to the urgency of drawing conclusions quickly, several methods for rapid determination of weather resistance have been developed.
2. Most of the important environmental factors that cause coating degradation are sunshine, heat and humidity, which are common basis for accelerating the determination of weather resistance.
3. Take the accelerated aging device of xenon lamp tube as an example: choose 313B (UV-B radiation). The advantage of 313B is that the results can be obtained quickly, but the authenticity is worse than 340A, and the light energy distribution of 340A is closer Real sunshine.
4. At present, Heyu Company uses reference to AS TMG 156-06. The coating degradation caused by accelerated aging or natural aging is usually measured with a gloss meter (gloss) and a spectrometer (yellow change and color).
Polyester air-drying high gloss gel coat
Heyu Qi-drying high-gloss gel coat is a wax-free air-drying gel coat, spray type, can be equipped with a variety of colors.
Features: High finish, low porosity, easy to water grinding, excellent finish after polishing.
Air-drying gel coat and FRP resin are similar products. After curing, the overall performance greatly exceeds the effects of other paints.
(1) Repair the surface defects of FRP products:
(2) Metal, wood, plastic and FRP are treated with the same overall exterior decoration;
(3) Master molds, original molds and wooden product surfaces of composite materials.
Spraying equipment and process requirements:
1. Spraying equipment: Heyuqi dry gel coat can use ordinary paint spray gun, the nozzle diameter is 1.3-2.0mm, the air volume can be adjusted, and the spray gun with good atomization effect is suitable. The compressed air must be clean, degreasing and dewatering, and the pressure must be stable.
2. Process requirements: The spraying workshop is required to be clean and dust-free, and install exhaust equipment to remove mist, otherwise it will affect the surface gloss. The ambient temperature should not be lower than 15℃, and the relative humidity should not be higher than 70%.
Guidelines for the use of air-drying gel coats
Surface and product preparation work first use rough sandpaper to polish the entire surface of the original mold or substrate to ensure that the putty and filler are polished. Then use a clean white cotton cloth or paper towel to soak the quick-drying solvent, and wipe the polished surface (do not use coarse cloth). Before adding the curing agent, stir the easy-grinding primer in the tank evenly and filter out the coarse particles. Due to the short gel time, only the amount that can be sprayed in 16-18 minutes is prepared. (When the ambient temperature is high, the gel and the usable time are short, when the ambient temperature is low, the gel and the usable time are long.) Then add 2% methyl ethyl ketone peroxide as a curing agent. It can be diluted by adding appropriate amount of thinner as required.
Operating procedure (Note: the spray pressure should be 35-50psi, if a small spray can is used, the pressure should be kept at 10-15psi.)
Spray a thin layer of primer on the surface and let it volatilize for 1-2 minutes, and then spray it several times to gradually increase the thickness to the desired thickness. If you need to reach a special thickness, you can quickly repeat the above steps after gelation. Dry the surface with 220-320 mesh sandpaper and let it stand overnight or more than eight hours to ensure that the solvent is completely volatilized. Polished with sandpaper the next day.
Air-drying polyester easy to sand primer
Heyu air-drying polyester easy-sanding primer is a wax-free air-drying gel coat specially developed for correcting the contour, smoothness and flatness of various original molds. It is available in spray type and several colors.
Features: compact surface, low porosity: easy to polish, saving man-hours, manpower: good manufacturability, smooth surface effect can be obtained after polishing and polishing.
Uses: Used to improve the appearance of the original mold and mold of composite materials. It can also be used for mold repair.
Spraying equipment and process requirements:
1. Spraying equipment: ordinary gel coat spray gun, preferably spray gun with good atomization effect. The compressed air must be clean, degreasing and dewatering, with stable pressure.
2. The ambient temperature should not be lower than 15℃, and the relative humidity should not be higher than 70%.
Guidelines for the use of air-drying gel coats
Gel coat spraying process:
1. Substrate treatment: remove wax, release agent and oil, and polish with water sandpaper to increase roughness.
2. Gel coat preparation: The air-drying polyester easy-to-grind primer has been promoted, and only the curing agent needs to be added when using it. It is recommended to use good quality methyl ethyl ketone peroxide as the curing agent, add 1.5%-2.5%, and use after mixing. Curing and surface drying time vary with ambient temperature, relative humidity and curing agent dosage. According to the caliber of the spray gun, adjust to good atomization and leveling.
3. It is recommended to spray the configured air-drying gel coat thinly first, and then spray-dry the gel coat to the required thickness after the solvent evaporates for a few minutes.